Monitoring-based commissioning, also referred to as continuous or ongoing commissioning, and as real-time energy monitoring, is a powerful process to reduce energy use and cost in buildings. It is the practice of optimizing energy performance through the acquisition and analysis of HVAC performance data at a scale requiring software that can store, retrieve, and present it effectively. In addition to highlighting operational anomalies for immediate correction, monitoring-based commissioning helps ensure the persistence and ROI of previously implemented energy-saving measures. Identifying when and how a mechanical system is not performing as it should is sometimes called fault detection and diagnosis.
Although monitoring-based commissioning can be offered as a stand-alone software solution, we believe the service is most effective when high-caliber data analytics software is combined with expert consulting support. The energy engineers at Sieben Energy Associates provide evidence-based insight into HVAC system operation to reveal new energy-saving opportunities. Even buildings that have recently undergone retro-commissioning may benefit from monitoring-based commissioning. Working collaboratively from inception through completion, we guide our client through each stage of the project.
What can you expect from monitoring-based commissioning with Sieben Energy Associates?
- Assessment of baseline energy performance
- A proven, well-designed approach to acquiring HVAC system performance data
- Focus on low-cost, rapid-payback energy-saving opportunities
- Iterative process for testing newly identified opportunities before implementing them
- Monitoring of previously implemented energy-saving measures
- Access to an on-line dashboard providing full transparency of all data analysis
- Regular project meetings to review discoveries and possible solutions
- Thoughtful consideration of ideas and concerns raised by site engineers
- Detailed scopes of work for opportunities selected for implementation
- Client's choice of vendors/contractors to complete project implementation
Why should you choose Sieben Energy Associates to perform monitoring-based commissioning?
- Deep experience with buildings of all types and sizes
- Practitioner of this service since 2010 with intimate knowledge of best practices
- Powerful data analytics software and fine-tuned analytical processes
- Strong collaboration with site engineers and property managers
- Data-driven insight rather than intuitive or rule-of-thumb rationale
- Financial metrics based upon client's actual unit cost of energy
- Focus on optimization, not conservation; occupant comfort is a key priority
How can you get started on monitoring-based commissioning from Sieben Energy Associates?
- Contact us to learn more and discuss your energy goals
- Share with us your building's historical electricity and natural gas usage information
- Schedule a site screening visit so that we can assess project feasibility
- Your facility may qualify for a utility incentive program; we can review with you the program requirements
- If your facility doesn't qualify for a utility incentive program, or your utility doesn't offer a program, we can talk with you about designing a custom project